Oberlin Review Records
Scope and Contents
The Oberlin Review Records document daily life on the Oberlin College campus through the College’s student newspaper. It has been divided into two subgroups. The first holds the bound print issues of the Oberlin Review from its founding in 1874 through the present. The second holds records created by the Review’s photographers or photography department from the 1970s through ca. 2013.
Relating to students, faculty, and staff, and campus developments and events, Subgroup II spans approximately five decades from the late 1970s until 2013, encompassing most of the time in which the Review was located in the basement of Burton Hall. The collection is organized into three series: Series 1. Oberlin Review Print Photos; Series 2. Oberlin Review Film Strip Negatives; and Series 3. Oberlin Review Born Digital Photographs. Through both published and unpublished materials, the collection reflects the broad scope of events Review staff sought to document about this period at Oberlin College, including numerous guest lectures, on an off-campus political protests, dance and musical performances, and sports and athletics.
The collection also includes depictions of the student body through portraits and candid photographs of students in academic and athletic settings, campus locations including dormitories, academic buildings, and outside, as well as photographs of college faculty in lectures and offices. Along with student life, the collection includes materials relating to the built environment of Oberlin College through photographs of academic buildings, performance spaces, and Mudd Center. Before the Oberlin College Archives received the collection, materials were stored in the basement of Oberlin’s Tank Hall Co-Op, and a 2023 flood resulted in the loss of numerous print photographs and water damage to others. They were moved to Burton Hall before being transferred to the Archives in 2023. Due in part to the water damage, many prints have damage from highlighter and pen ink used to mark the reverse of the prints. Film strip negatives and born digital photographs appear largely undamaged.
Dates
- Creation: 1874-2013, undated
Conditions Governing Access
Unrestricted.
Administrative History
Oberlin’s student newspaper was founded in 1874 by C.N. Jones, its first Editor-in-Chief, as the Oberlin College Review. The paper began as a semi-monthly student literary journal dedicated to the affairs and interests of the College. In laying out the intention behind the journal in the first publication (Volume 1), Jones describes the Oberlin College Review as “managed by the undergraduate students and concerned with their interests,” ultimately serving to “enlarge [Oberlin College’s] field of influence, and continue the bond between her and her graduates as they leave her immediate care and protection.” Materials in the journal range from essays and articles written by students, faculty, and alumni, as well as sections for notes on local matters and personal concerns. By the 13th issue of Volume 1, published on October 7, 1874, the Oberlin College Review had its second Editor-in-Chief, J. A. Winters, and an expanded Editorial Board that included various editors representing other student societies and publications: Alice D. Armsby, Ladies Literary; Ellen A. Hayes, Ælioian; E. K. Fairchild, Alpha Zeta; M. Starr, Phi Kappa Pi; and A. T. Burnell, Phi Delta. Upon the publication of Volume 2 in the spring of 1875, the journal’s name was shortened to the Oberlin Review, and its content expanded to include more content related to student life and affairs. Also beginning in 1875, advertisements were located on the journal’s back page.
With the 36th volume published in 1908, The Oberlin Review transitioned from a literary journal to a newspaper, the form it still exists in today. In the first publication of Volume 36, published on September 29, 1908, Review staff explain in a note about its new form, “we confidently believe that we can handle the college news to the best advantage. The various departments will be seen to have their allotted space” for readers to “know exactly where to find what he desires without a moment’s hesitation.” This development marked the inclusion of formally labeled sections of the newspaper such as “Association News,” “Athletics,” and “General News.” Despite this, the Editorial Board did not distinguish department editors. As a newspaper, the Review sought to prioritize disseminating the college’s news in a short-form presentation, focusing on articles rather than lengthy essays regarding literary arts, for the purpose of serving “the student body to the best of our powers and resources.” The Review established a journal called the Oberlin Review Monthly to feature the literary arts, formally separating those writings from its news coverage.
In Volume 38, Number 6, published on November 2, 1910, the Review formally announced its department editors for the first time: Harold L. Reed, ’11, Athletics; J. C. Kline, ’11, Exchange; Ruth T. Strong, ’11, Society; J. Burl Blue, ’11, News; Hugh A. Cameron, ’12, News; T. Nelson Metcalf, ’12, Athletics Alumni; Percy L. Sperr, ’12, Organizations; and Dorothy O. Swift, ’12, Women’s Interests.
While photos first appeared in the Review in the early 1900s, the newspaper only began crediting photographs to Oberlin students in about the mid-1970s. No Photography Editor was mentioned in staff lists until approximately 1966 (Jim Meyers, OC ’69). By Volume 96, Number 24, published on December 15, 1967, the Review’s Editorial Board included both a Photography Editor, Greg Pyke ’68, and Photography Staff, Steve Golder ’70 and Mike Sternschein ’70. It was not until the mid-1970s that the position of Photography Editor became a regular position in the Review staff.
As of 2026, the Oberlin Review has published more than 150 volumes and remains one of the oldest continuously published college newspapers in the country. It remains dedicated to reporting on student life and activities, Oberlin’s campus, politics, sports, and arts and cultural developments relevant to Oberlin students. The Review also includes coverage related to the City of Oberlin, filling a gap after the Oberlin News-Tribune ceased publication after 2018.
Partial Extent
3.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
English
Metadata Rights Declarations
- License: This record is made available under an Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Creative Commons license.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The Archives received the Review Records Collection as Accession 2026/28 from Editor-in-Chief Delaney Fox in December of 2023 in preparation for a January 2024 Winter Term.
Sources Consulted
“About,” Oberlin Review, Accessed June 22, 2026, https://oberlinreview.org/about/archives/.
“The Oberlin College Review,” Oberlin College Review, April 1, 1874.
“The Oberlin College Review,” Oberlin College Review, October 7, 1874.
“The Oberlin Review,” Oberlin Review, February 24, 1875.
“The Oberlin Review,” Oberlin Review, September 29, 1908.
“The Oberlin Review,” Oberlin Review, November 2, 1910.
“The Oberlin Review,” Oberlin Review, November 15, 1966.
“The Oberlin Review,” Oberlin Review, December 15, 1967.
Cultural context
Genre / Form
Topical
- Title
- Oberlin Review Records
- Status
- Completed
- Author
- Lincoln Moore and Andrea Kinstle, supervised by Emily Rebmann
- Date
- 2026 June 22
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- English
- Script of description
- Latin
Repository Details
Part of the Oberlin College Archives Repository
420 Mudd Center
148 West College Street
Oberlin OH 44074-1532 US
440-775-8014
archive@oberlin.edu
